Thursday 23 September 2010

U-Turn!

I have now returned to my original idea of the documentary. I am aware that I have concentrated the majority of my research thus far on the idea of doing a music video based on mise en scene and representation, however I believe this will also come in useful as I work on a documentary as I can apply what I have learned here and be more creative on the documentary because of this.

My original reason for wanting to do the music video was that I believed it would be too much of a strain on my other A Levels if I was to do the documentary, however I now realise that it would probably take up as much, or even more time than I had thought. Also, because of the huge amount of scope I have in the making of the music video I am finding it very hard to come up with one definitive idea of what to do.

I have already outlined my idea for a documentary earlier in the blog. I want to create a documentary based around the history behind the greek riots, showing the lack of knowledge people have here in the UK of what it is actually about and explaining through a young Greek man's eyes how he feels. As he is young the audience will hopefully through this feel some connection with the character and thus will listen more to what he has to say and will feel the emotions he is feeling. I guess this adds another dimension to the documentary rather than just basing it on plain facts.

I have a very clear image in my head about what I want to and how I can do it. In some ways it was a very good thing that I did the research into the music videos before I decided to swap, as I want to make the documentary something a little more in touch with a modern audience than what an ordinary documentary would do e.g. using a young presenter who is talking about a passion rather than a subject/ bringing in modern influences such as music which young people can relate with to etc. Also I feel that because it is a subject I feel so strongly about, I would come up with a very good peice of work, whereas the fact that I am struggling to come up with an idea for the music video means that I probably am not best suited to creating one.

I have really run out of time to keep switching ideas now, so this one is going to have to stick!
Ευχή μου τύχη!

1 comment:

  1. I think this will be an interesting project Ollie - and different. You'll need to think about the structure of the whole documentary in order to select 5/6 minutes for your finished piece.

    ReplyDelete