Wednesday 8 September 2010

Music Video Thoughts - One




'Heria Psila' by Mihalis Hatzigiannis

This has been one of my favourite music videos for a long time now, and it isn't just because I love the song. I find this video very visually pleasing purely down to how simple and yet effective it is. The plain black and white backgrounds I feel contrast beautifully with the costumes that the singer wears onscreen and make I feel make the video easy to watch. The majority of the video is in black and white (a technique I previously said I admired during the AS project)  and although there are flashes of colour towards the end, so the video does not get boring, the colour schemes I feel are generally very plain but effective. The song is quite a soft one and I think the mise en scene used enhances this. Although soft, the song is also quite fast paced, something which is matched by the video as the shots appear at a similar pace to the music and use a variety of different camera shots, although predominantly they show the same kind of scene. It is this simplicity that I really love about this video and it makes it a real joy to watch every time I see it.

The video sort of reminds me of Beryonce's video for 'Single Ladies' in regards to its mise en scene and formatting, which was released in 2008 and won three MTV awards for best Choreography, best editing and video of the year. The video also won video of the year in the 2009 BET and MOBO awards proving just how popular it was. Purely the fact that Hatzigiannis' video reminds me of it must mean it cannot be a bad video by any stretch of the imagination. I have included Beyonce's video below as a comparison.



'Single Ladies' by Beyonce

No comments:

Post a Comment