Tuesday 7 September 2010

AS Course Reflection

For my AS Media Studies coursework I was involved in a variety of activities including research, planning and editting. Below I have written some reflections of what I did regarding each of these things last year and how I believe they progressed.

Research
There was a lot of research that I did regarding last years project and it took a lot of thought and work to make it happen. I used an audience survey to ask what people thought about my original written idea and how they thought I could improve it. I got responses from a wide range of people from all ages and genders which really helped me progress into making the actual film as I was able to see what was popular about my idea and what was not so popular. Not all of the comments were positive, however I could see this as a good thing as it meant I could view points of view and play with ideas that I would not have been able to come up with myself.

Planning
Planning what the story was going to be and how to film it also took a lot of work. I went through a whole host of film trailers and openings and analysed them closely, looking at how I could use some of the techniques as they had done in my own work. It was mostly aspects such as mise en scene which I took note of here. In more hands on planning, I also had to look for specific locations to film and also produce a storyboard to follow the script which I had already produced and modified.
When reflecting on all of these things, I probably should have posted more planning ideas and information on my blog than that which I actually did and with hindsight I believe this may have improved my mark slightly. I will most definately aim to improve on this part of the portfolio during the A2 course.

Editing
After actually filming the peice of work (which was plagued with bad fortune ruining the original idea) we continued the project by editing it, which I thought went a lot better than expected. Aside from the changing of much of the actual filmed work from the script, meaning I was unable to continue using certain effects (such as the music I was origianally going to etc) from which I had planned, the editing was a fairly smooth process. After learning how to use new softwars such as iMovie and Photoshop for the Mac, this part of the project was relatively easy and I am eagerly awaiting using more new software such as After Effects this year to create a really good peice of work.

Overall I was quite pleased to have earned a high B, but was a little dissapointed in just missing out on an A. However, this year I hope to learn from my mistakes and make sure I produce a peice of work that matches both the examiners and my own expectations.

For further detail, visit my AS blog at http://manousos.wordpress.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment